Play Like a Kid
Get the Family Involved
By Mary Ann Cockram, MS, RD
Looking for a fun way to get a great workout that includes quality time with the family? Try bringing back the "kid" in you and go play! You'll find that you're getting great exercise and the young ones don't realise they're working out because they're having fun, too. Put on your kid cap and try these ideas:
Work Out With Primary School Kids
- Try playing a game of cricket.
- Grab some tennis raquets and hit that ace. A soccer ball is great for just kicking around.
- End a "workout" with hide-and-seek, particularly with younger family members.
Work Out With Teenagers
- Register for a charity event (run or walk), and train together.
- Play one-on-one basketball or singles/doubles tennis.
- Take a bike ride together. Enjoy the outdoors and get great exercise in the process.
Work Out With Grown Children
- Do some gardening together, such as raking leaves.
- Enjoy a walk around the block or go for a short hike.
Even if you don't have children of your own, "borrow" nieces and nephews who live nearby. Youth groups that work with children could also benefit from your time. What you can do is limited only by your imagination. So, release your inner child and play!