14th Week of Pregnancy
Sex During Pregnancy
Baby's Growth and Development at 14 Weeks Pregnant
While many areas of your baby's body are becoming further refined during the 14th week of pregnancy, much of the development this week focuses on your baby's small reproductive system:
- When you’re 14 weeks pregnant, your baby is about the length of your clenched fist.
- In boys, the prostate gland is forming. In girls, ovaries are moving into her pelvis from her abdomen area.
- Your baby's thyroid gland is now working and making hormones.
- By your 14th week of pregnancy, your baby's palate, or the roof of their mouth, has completely formed.
- Your baby might be or soon will be growing body hair, called lanugo, which will temporarily keep your baby warm until his baby fat accumulates.
- His head will grow to four times its current size and increase 60 times in volume by the time of their birth.
Your Changing Body at 14 Weeks Pregnant
With an increase of hormones in the 14th week of pregnancy and in the weeks that follow, you might notice new changes in your body.
- At 14 weeks pregnant, you might see an increase in vaginal discharge, which is normal. Hormones stimulate this, possibly as your body's way of preventing the growth of harmful bacteria.
- Sometimes this surge of hormones can leave your vaginal area out of balance, which can lead to infection. This is common and something your Healthcare Professional can easily treat.
- If you have any concerns about changes in your discharge or you experience soreness, itching, or bleeding, contact your Healthcare Professional.
Your Body and Sex During the 14th Week of Pregnancy
- Your desire for sex might be greater or less than normal right now. Both responses are normal.
- Your feelings toward sex might be influenced by how you feel about your body.
- If you are concerned about harm to your baby during sexual activity, remember that your baby is well protected and separated from germs in your uterus. He also is cushioned by amniotic fluid.
- Growth of new blood vessels in the pelvic area might increase sexual arousal.
Pregnancy Changes That Are Skin Deep
- At 14 weeks pregnant, the darkening of skin around your nipples is probably noticeable.
- Like most pregnant women, you also might soon notice a dark vertical line (linea nigra) extending from your navel to pubic area.
- By your 14th week of pregnancy, skin around your navel, armpits, or inner thighs might darken, particularly if you already have a darker complexion.
- Usually this increased pigmentation, driven by increases in hormones, fades after your baby’s birth.
- You also might note a very mild darkening of skin on the forehead, temples, cheeks, chin, and nose (sometimes called the "mask of pregnancy"). This affects about half of all pregnant women and usually fades after your baby is born.
Wellness and Nutrition at 14 Weeks Pregnant
At 14 weeks pregnant, think about making plans for you and baby in the months ahead.
- Check out childbirth class options for later in your pregnancy.
- Begin interviewing possible paediatrician choices for your baby.
- By your 14th week of pregnancy, examine your maternity and paternity policies at work, if you haven't already.
- Begin looking at child-care options if you will need them.
- Nutrition Notes for Your 14th Week of Pregnancy: Make Health a Convenience! The more convenient the food, the more likely you'll reach for it first.
- Be sure to keep healthy choices within reach.
- Always try to have some type of healthy snack choice with you, particularly when you are away from home.